Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Fois Gras and Me

I have a confession to make: I don’t like fois gras. There. I said it. It’s out there and there’s no taking it back. I’m sorry to offend the entire country of France, but I can no longer tolerate your specialty.
But seriously, I don’t, I just…I just can’t like it. I’ve tried it, and tried to like it, but it just doesn’t work. Me and fois gras, we just weren’t made to be together. It’s like Tom and Jerry or Romeo and Juliet (sans the devoted love part); we just can’t live together in peace. I don’t like it, and it doesn’t like me (and I KNOW it doesn’t like me, because why else would it insist on inflicting it’s terribly, pasty, meat and backwoods smoky taste on my tongue every time I try and suffer through it for the sake of France?). But if there’s one thing the French have trouble accepting, it’s the disrespect in the form of dislike of their favorite devil’s-paste. Let’s recap on last night’s Rotary Christmas dinner, shall we?
Alright, so for the most part, it went really well. I held my own conversation wise and overall the evening was quite pleasant, held in a folksy but classy little Bed and Breakfast just outside of Compiegne. During the aperitif, I was making friendly conversation with two Rotarians when I was asked a simple question: What French food did I not find mouth-watering delicious and thoroughly irresistible (as if there was such a food!)? I answered as honestly and humbly as I could that while I can occasionally manage cooked and warm fois gras, when it’s cold it just does not suit my gout. Later, as everyone was settling down at the table and the menu was being shown around and discussed, I saw that –surprise!- our entrée was not one, but two different sorts of the very meat paste that makes my palate tingle in horror. The nice man I talked to at the start looked at me and with a friendly twinkle in his eye said “uh, oh, Kristen…”
I prepared myself to suffer through it silently as the entree arrived. After all, I’d done it before. Just put a little on your fork, place at the back of your tongue where it can do the least amount of damage to the taste buds and swallow, followed by a quick bite of bread. With everyone served, I looked down at my plate with apprehension and eyed my enemy. I picked up my fork, cut off a piece big enough to pass for a solid try and prayed that my taste buds would suddenly numb and save me the horror that I had experienced every other time I’d eaten it. They didn’t. I tried again with a slightly smaller piece. Same. I continued one or two more times each with a smaller piece than the last when a voice startled me out of my agony. “Do you like it?” I was asked. Before I could demurely murmur that it was fine, thank you, someone spoke up for me saying “she doesn’t like fois gras”.
Silence. Deafening silence. Slowly, person by person, it spread down the table that –horror of horrors! – Kristen doesn’t like the heavenly fattened liver of goose that is one of France’s most prized specialties. I swear that you would have thought I had stood up, threw some wine and then slapped the lady across from me with the looks of shock I was greeted with. Thankfully, several people came quickly back to their senses and offered kindly “no worries”, assuring me that I wasn’t obligated to eat it.
As conversation started back up again, my rotary contact looked at me and said “Donnez-moi”…give me. Embarrassed, intimidated and bewildered, I handed her my plate and the remaining food of Satan was divided between whoever wanted it and passed around the entire table as I sat quietly with my cheeks burning and my dirty silverware in my hand. The waiter, alarmed at the passing of my plate, asked if everything was all right to which the response was “Oh, yeah…she’s just American”. I guess that explained everything.
I spent the remainder of the (four hour) meal eating everything on my plate - the plat principal of chicken and potatoes, the plate of cheese (which wreaked havoc on my stomach) and the dessert plate of chocolate (despite my being so full I wasn’t sure if I could stand up) – and comment on how much I liked it and trying to explain that I’m really not a picky eater…I swear!!
Other than that, the dinner passed without a problem as I made conversation here and discussed “le crise” there. It was mostly a success which puts me at 1 and fois gras at 3 (seeing as I silently ate it ALL the three other times it was given to me). I’m catching up pasty liver fat…watch your back.

So, the past two weekends I was in Belgium with my host family with the most recent being for the wedding of my “aunt.” It was really lovely and everyone (especially the bride) looked wonderful. There was lots of food (FOIS GRAS, YOU GOT ME AGAIN!), dancing, wine, love and fun and for the first time, I really felt a break through with the language. I met more new people than I could possibly remember and spent the whole weekend with barely a word of English…a true accomplishment! Other than that, I’ve just been hanging around, babysitting, bike riding (12 km along the Belgian country side with my host grandmother…it was right out of a Forster novel, I swear!), celebrating St. Nicolas Day (who, is apparently NOT the same person as Santa Claus OR Pere Noel…and who goes around to all the children’s houses giving out gifts to the good and having his African helper BEAT THE BAD CHILDREN on Dec 6th) and sending out my Christmas cards. Last week my friend Victoria came to visit on Wednesday and we spent the day Christmas shopping at the marche de noel in my town and just speaking the wonderful language that is our native tongue. It’s been very cold lately…not that that really bothers me (upstate New Yorkers don’t get cold), it’s more the wind that’s so raw it could rip the skin right off your cheeks that gets to me.
I’m officially on break come Saturday and we’ll be off to Belgium again for the holidays (it really does not feel like Christmas to me at all). Then come January I change host families and a whole new period of readjustment and learning begins.

Have a safe and happy holiday! I miss and love you all!
Bisous,
Kristen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kristen,

Your latest blog post is also WONDERFUL! Great writing about a
very funny, but true story...which has so much to say about us all. Oh, how many times have we tried to
"like" some food served by a host,
and wanted to just die rather than
taking one more bite! - YUCK YUCK!
But you handled the situation well
even though there were some really
"painful moments" from the entire
experience. For like example, I'm reminded of the "Broccoli Incident"
during the presidency of George
Herbert Walker Bush (# 41). As a
child, little George was forced to eat broccoli by his Mother...AND HE
HATED IT!!! And so, one day as the
new president, he made an offhand
remark in an interview that he SO
hated broccoli and said: "I'm President of the United States, and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli!" Then, he banned broccoli from the White House and on Air Force One. Immediately after, you would have thought the world had come to an end. There
was a huge hue and cry from the
broccoli lovers of the world
especially the American Broccoli Associaton who
claimed the President's comments/actions had ruined their industry, etceterea...and as further protest they all sent tons of the "stuff" to the White House.
FINALLY, President Bush had to make an apology (a lame one at that)...and still refused to eat the broccoli stuff while President
(and after). In fact a former White House cook reported that Mrs. Bush had the W.H. Kitchen make up a disguised broccoli salad...and after just one bite, the President passed the dish around the table for other guests to eat...and always did so whenever they tried to "pull the
broccoli over his eyes" again and again. HA

This goes to show that your "Fois
Gras Incident" is unique only with the nature of the food served...for example, I (Papa)
will NOT EAT RARE MEAT/FISH of any kind...and many other dishes/foods/preparations...and I know that, like you, Fois Gras would not be my thing...but I would hope that I could live with the situation as wonderfully as you have described in such a most
delightful way!!! And thank you for
your highly delicious story.

Love YOU Much
Papa and Nommie

Anonymous said...

Joyeux Noël! It doesn't feel like Christmas to me either... but not so much because you're not here. I don't know, it's just a weird year. I know you're safe and I know you're happy so I'm actually completely okay. Everyone assumes we are wrecks because you're not home and that's sweet, but truthfully, we are fine.

So, sorry about the fois gras. I suppose it's my fault for not introducing you to stuff like that... but I would rather die than eat it, so, again, I'm sorry. You're a better person than I am, because I wouldn't have it near me - let alone try it. Daddy would try it, but not me. I can honestly say a lot of french cuisine is yucko to me, except of course, dessert. I can't imagine turning down their desserts - so maybe you could rebound with a nice gâteau.

Nous vous aimons et vous nous manquez. Profitez de vos vacances!

Anonymous said...

How funny! I know what you mean about food though. (This is Josette, by the way.) As much as I love Japan, I hate it's food. My aunt once took me to Tokyo to celebrate something (I forget) and I ate Miso Soup for the first (and last time). It was horrific.

Actually, that goes for just about every Asian country's food. I just found out I'm going to Taiwan for Rotary (the first person from District 7170) and as absolutely excited as I am, I know I'm going to have a problem with the food. T.T I don't like seafood (the biggest problem) and I don't like much of anything else in Chinese cuisine. So, I'll just have to suck it up bravely, like you! :)

Anonymous said...

Kristen, Kristen, Kristen! Your story was fantastic. I must say I thought you were a mode of decorum when you tried eating it. Being an extremely picky eater (as my mother has informed me many times) I have gone through the same situations many times although probably not with anything as gross sounding as fois gras (I had to look it up in order to know what you were talking about....how uncultured am I!!??!!)I myself have devised several tricks for "eating" (aka hiding it, pushing it around on the plate, and shoving on my brother's plate when no one is looking) yucky food. However I would not want you to cause an international scandal so for now, I suppose you should just suffer through it. Unless you want to cause an international scandal. I hear it does wonders if you want to get your name in the papers (It works for England's royal family). Hm...and if for some reason the French police force threw you in jail, I would come and devise a daring rescue to get you out. I think it would involve black clothing, butter, some Spice Girls cds and the use of a daisy covered umbrella. I can't get into it anymore then that because for all I know the French could be reading this right now! (Hello Kristen's fellow Frenchmen) But rest assured it's 46% foolproof and afterwards we can sit down and enjoy a fine French pastry at a bakery of your choosing. See, doesn't an international scandal sound like fun? Hm...but I might need some back up. I'll call certain other people (codename EDC members) for the calvary. I must say all this planning has exhausted me. I must go and fetch some refreshment while I draw up plans for "Operation Big Chinese Man" (The name is sure to throw them off. I can see it now. A bunch of French policemen shouting out "Who is this Chinese man and why is he big?") I will leave now with the fond farewell saying from my native country.

Peace out.

Maggie said...

I hate fois gras too...

haha