Saturday, January 3, 2009

First Post of 2009!










+The building said "1776"...obviously I had to take a picture in front of it
+Brugges the "Venice of the North"
+A cheese store in Holland
+My host siblings and I "a la mer" (in Belgium)
+Touching the ground in Holland
It has come to my attention that there are many English phrases that just don’t translate into French very well. I’ll never forget the looks I got after declaring I had “butterflies in my stomach” before going on a rollercoaster in EuropaPark with my host siblings. I’m not quite sure what they thought I meant, but in honor of that experience, here are few phrases/expressions and their French counterparts:

“I have butterflies in my stomach” = “J’ai les gilliewillies” (I have the gillie willies)
“She has eyes in the back of her head” = “Elle a les yeux dans ses oreilles” (She has eyes in her ears)
“Ouch!” = “Aie!” (pronounced aye as in “aye matey , there she blows)
“Shhh!” = “Shoooot”
“Jinx!” = “Chips!” (and sadly, the French never owe another a poke or a coke)

There are more, of course, but I couldn’t possibly name them all. One of my favorite expressions is “C’est pas grave” literally meaning “it’s not grave” but used like “whatever” or “it doesn’t matter”. I also like “Oh, la vache!” which is used in surprise but literally translates as “oh the cow!” One thing I find strange though, is that they call ballet “classique” and not ballet. However, most of the moves are named the same (pas de chat, rombe des jambs…I’ve been speaking French for years apparently). And as a quick side note, “Oh la la!” is used as an expression of distaste or shock, NOT the way we use it in America. It is always accompanied by a raising of the eyebrows, lowering of the voice and an occasional scornful glance.

So Christmas has come and gone. I had an absolutely wonderful Christmas, easily the most memorable and unique yet, and met over 62 new people (we counted in the car). I spent the holiday vacation in Belgium visiting both host parent’s families, touring Belgian cities (including Brugges, the “Venice of the North”), making a quick stop in Holland, and just being French. I tried many new foods, learned many new words (such as kitsch meaning tacky) and had a really fun time being too busy to even miss home all that much. However one thing that was definitely lacking this holiday season was the Christmas songs. Oh sure, there was the typical “Silent Night”s and “We Three King”s and such, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I mean those obnoxious but irresistible “Jingle Bell Rock”s , “Baby It’s Cold Outside”s and the “I’ll be Home for Christmas’” (which, actually, on second thought it’s probably better that I didn’t hear that). I have a strange adoration of those cheesy but oh so cheerful melodies and let me just say, the French (and Belgians…and Europeans) are missing out.
New Year’s Eve was celebrated at the house of friend’s of my host parents (boy is that a mouthful), and included lots of champagne and an odd French tradition: spit balls. At midnight, we broke out these festive giant straw-like things with millions of tiny colorful paper balls and…spit them at each other. It was a blast and the dinner party lasted six hours with us arriving at 8 and leaving at 2 in the New Year. My favorite part of New Year’s Eve was hands down when I called my family at 2:30 a.m., Jan 1st (my time…8:30 pm, Dec 31st home time) “from the future”.
Other than that, my upcoming month or so isn’t too busy. I have a Rotary thing next weekend as well as the first weekend in Feb, and I’m changing families soon (we don’t have an exact date yet). I miss you all bunches, but have finally started to really “belong” here…meaning, for the first time, I totally understand when Rotary says how hard it’s going to be to leave.

Here’s to an exciting New Year (and some fabulous French champagne…)! Happy 2009 everyone, I hope everyone passed an amusing and safe Christmas/Hanukah/Kwanza/Boxing Day/Winter Solstice/New Years! The sales begin on Jan 5th here in France, and I plan on spending my Christmas money with an air of frivolity.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing blogger. I thoroughly enjoy each and every one of your posts. I've been reading a bunch of travel/living in other countries blogs but you're is by far the best. I'm not even saying this lightly. It's usually really hard for me to find something I really love to read, but you're blog is definitely one of them.

I just had my first Rotary conference as an official outbound student. It was fun but I didn't learn that much about my personal exchange b/c I don't have a country contact yet. In due time I hope. :) I'm going to be starting a blog too, so when I get it up I'll give it to you if you want to read it when you get back.

The pics are great! You look so pretty. You're very photgenic too. Lucky!

Sounds like you have an amazing New Year. :) Hope the rest of your trip is that great.

-Josette