Thursday, December 4, 2008

100th Day

+Because sometimes it's just too much for royalty to have to HOLD their books...
+The library at the chateau (a.k.a MECCA)

+Victoria and I


+District 1770!



Today my friends, is a big day. Today marks my 100th day in France. That’s right; 100 days ago today I landed in Charles de Gaulle airport slightly hysterical and equal parts excited and scared out of my mind. 100 days ago today I had no idea what was in store for me on this exchange, where I would travel, or who I would meet. 100 days ago today I didn’t know how much I could cry or how satisfying a trip alone to the post office could be. 100 days ago today I spoke just one language on a daily basis, not English, French and whatever mixture of the two my brain can conjure up (including sign language and an occasional word in Spanish or German thrown in). 100 days ago today I dreamed in English. 100 days ago today I would have never even thought about approaching a French grocery store worker and acting out all the uses of cotton balls because I couldn’t remember the word in French or find the aisle that kept them. 100 days ago today I had never met anyone from Belgium, Switzerland, Turkey, South Africa, Australia or Mexico. 100 days ago today I didn’t send letters all around Europe and the US or recognize the joy receiving handwritten notes can bring. 100 days ago today I told the customs man that I was 18 when he asked me where I came from. 100 days ago today I used to metric system (and now…well, alright, I still do, but I’m learning how to convert Liters and Grams and Celsius and all that). 100 days ago today I didn’t fully realize how much being an American means to me, or how much I appreciate the love I receive from my family and friends. 100 days ago today I had no comprehension of how delicious croissants and the like really are. 100 days ago today I NEVER would have imagined myself eating cheese ice cream. 100 days ago today…well, I’m not going to say I was a different person, but 100 days ago today I was different (and I will venture to say I was more than 100 days younger than I am today…if that makes any sense at all). If this were elementary school, we would mark this occasion by gluing 100 noodles or stars or something on a piece of paper, or counting 100 marbles in a jar. As I don’t have the resources to do that, I’ll just send everyone back home 100 kisses.

So, aside from all that 100 dayness, I’ve been a busy little papillion as of late. Two weekends ago I had a Rotary conference where I got to see all of my friends and had an absolute BLAST. I stayed over at my friend Victoria’s house for the weekend, and on Sunday before I left to come “home”, we went to the chateau de Chantilly (in her town). It’s absolutely amazing, because the man who lived there (a cousin of Louis the somethingth) put in his will that he wanted nothing moved around or changed and so all the artwork and everything is in the same place that he left it when he died. The gardens were also built by the same man who did the Versailles gardens (but I didn’t get to see them as it was raining very heavily). It was pretty amazing.
Last Friday night, Astrid made Thanksgiving dinner for me and I had two friends, Claire and Charlotte, over. It was really nice and we had turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberries and pecan pie. I taught everyone how to make “hand turkeys” and told them the story of Thanksgiving the best I could. It was pretty difficult to translate into French, but I tried…it went something along the lines of: “Once Upon a Time the people in England weren’t really happy with the religion, so they sailed across the sea to ~America~ where they made a little village type thing. There, they ran into some Native Americans and there was lots of fighting, but one day, they decided to be nice and help each other out with food and shelter and all that. When the food was all grown up, the pilgrims and the Native Americans ate together and THAT’S Thanksgiving. And then they fought some more.” It’s been a long time since I actually heard the story, and it was not the easiest thing to do translating it, so cut me some slack.
Other than that, I’ve just been here and there, doing Rotary presentations, babysitting and the like. The past two days I was sick, which ended up making me really homesick as I wanted nothing more than my Mom and Nommie (grandma) to dote on me, but I’m over it now and feeling better both health wise and emotion wise.
Yesterday, President Nicolas Sarkozy was in my town to talk about poverty. I didn’t actually see him, but the traffic was ridiculous and I heard police sirens all day. This Friday night I’m babysitting, this weekend I’m going to Belgium, next week Victoria might come visit me (:]!!) and then the weekend after is the wedding in Belgium. Starting December 20th, I’m on break until January 5th and we’ll be spending Christmas in Belgium between Astrid and Christophe’s families as well as making a trip to Holland. Wow, if I look at the big picture, it seems like June is almost here! Come January, I’ll be switching families for the first time, in February I’m going skiing in Austria with Victoria and her host family, in March there’s a big Rotary weekend in Toulouse (the south of France), April brings a new host family, a visit from my parents and the Eurotrip, in May there’s yet another Rotary trip (I think to Park Asterix?) and then BOOM June…Goodness, I can’t believe it. Do you guys realize it's DECEMBER?!

Well, that’s all for now. Hope all is well. Bisous,
Kristen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kristen, It seems like a lot longer than 100 days to Nommie and Papa. 'Loved your blog--you are so witty! Love, Nommie and Papa

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, Belgium, south of France, possibly a trip to Holland? YOU ARE SO BUSY!!! I loved the beginning and I am mentally making a noodle necklace with one hundred pieces of noodles on it for you. You'll probably have to wrap it around your neck a couple of times because it will be so big. Unless living in France somehow makes your neck more horizontal? KIDDING! But know that I love you and am thinking about you always and can't wait to see you come June!
Mucho hugs and kisses returned,

Sarah <3

Anonymous said...

Wow Kristen!!! 100 days thats amazing, its going fast! Im really glad that you are discovering yourself and finding your identity while having fun at the same time. And im so proud of you because honestly I don't think I would be able to make it! Keep on living girl! I miss and love you so much!

Unknown said...

I'm so happy you got to have a Thanksgiving!! I miss you like crazy. I love you haircut - you look so beautiful. I am also very glad it did not actually cost 514 euro - I was so distressed when I first read that that I had to take a break and so I didn't find out until about 15 minutes later that it wasn't really that expensive. You sound so sophisticated, popping over to Belgium for the weekend. I was just thinking today how incredibly impressed I am that you are doing this, despite how homesick you are. You are amazing Kristen King and I love you!!
xxoo
Ellie