Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pancakes and Paris








+PERFECT pancakes
+Plantu
+Pauline, Sarko et moi
+Emilie, Ms. Monroe et moi
+Victoria and I at Rotary

Well, well, it seems I haven’t been fulfilling my blogging duty as of late. Not much has happened, yet so much has, what to say? I’m so thoroughly content over here on the French front; I’ve never felt so young, free and…multicultural?
I’ve been with my host family for a good six weeks now and we get along wonderfully. Two Saturday’s ago (Jan 31st), I went to Paris with my oldest host sister and her friends and we went shopping while there was still the soldes (the French have HUGE SALES a month after Christmas…it’s a beautiful thing). Paris is…how to describe Paris? I mean, obviously, it’s a world renowned city, but how do I describe MY feelings for Paris? I was first there on a class trip two springs ago and the feeling I had from my first moment off the plane always returns to me when I visit that magical city. I have such a feeling of belonging, of being, of...every other clichéd saying you can think of. No but seriously, they best way I can describe it is that every time I’m there, I get this giant bubble in my solar plexus that is constantly threatening to burst with glitter and hearts and rainbows.
Anyway, back to shopping. Sadly, there wasn’t much left as the soldes had been going on for a good month and hungry, post-holiday crazed Parisians had already had their way with many of the clothing racks, but I did manage to find two pairs of shoes and a beautiful Longchamp bag in robin egg blue.
That night, the rest of my host family met us and we went to a wax museum in Paris. It was really cool and very Scooby Doo creepy. We saw lots of famous French actors, singers, models, etc and some American’s as well. I kept expecting the figures to move, and once or twice, they did! The museum hires people to pose next to the statues and move every now and then…it certainly drew some colorful vocabulary from my mouth (in TWO languages, I might add).
The Friday after (Feb 6th) found me in Paris once again, but this time with my class. We visited the French newspaper “Le Monde” and met their famous (and controversial) political cartoonist Plantu. He was very funny and down to earth and I was amazed with some of the things he’s gotten away with printing! Alongside his autograph, he drew me his famous mouse. I didn’t want to let him know I was an American (I don’t like to shove it in people’s faces), but as I went up to ask for his autograph, or rather, hand him my paper and pen so he wouldn’t hear my accent, my friend Blandine shouted (specifically against my wishes) “SHE’S AMERICANNNNNNN!” and so he added an American flag to the mouse’s hands and told me how much he admired my country. I was flattered, as I always am when my nationality is complimented, but couldn’t help but think “but why would you ever want to leave THIS country?”
Because seriously guys, I LOVE France. It’s my 169th day here and I’m already mourning the year that isn’t even over. I love everything about France. Its strikes that made me miss school two weeks ago, its capital city (see proclamation of love above), its cheese (oh camemberttttttttt), its wine, its people, its shops, its towns, its honesty, its history, even its RAIN. I clearly remember having a terrible cold two months ago but being perfectly okay with it, because it was a FRENCH cold; clearly superior. I love the language and I love being able to speak it. I just am so….happy.
I’ll stop myself before you think me too intoxicated from the vineyard fumes. What else to say? OH YES! A few weeks ago, I received a spectacular gift from one of my best friends in the whole world, Miss Lauren Perry. She saw it fit to send me a care package from home with all the American essentials: Lucky Charms, Oreos, Swedish Fish, Reese’s, Kisses, Snickers, cookies, Pancake Mix, Maple Syrup and lord knows what else. I made pancakes (“fat crepes” was how I explained it) for my host family and they loved them! They also ADORED the Oreos…I swear, they were gone in like 3 days. THANK YOU LAUREN(TARDBORIN)! :]

Before I sign off, I’ll just mention that this past weekend was a Rotary meeting with all the kids from District 1770 (my district) and the Paris District 1660. I spent the weekend with my friend Victoria which included a lot of laughs, macaroons and an 80’s dance party and seeing everyone at the meeting was a blast! I hope I never forget every moment from this year.
Also, the internet at my host house doesn’t work too well, so I’m pretty rarely on. If I haven’t answered anyone’s emails or comments, please know it’s not personal!
Hope all is well! BISOUS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Another great entry. You have no idea how inspiring it is to read about your life. I really hope I have as much fun and happiness in Taiwan. T.T I'm studying Chinese but it's so difficult! Wait, I'm not suppose to say that. Apparently it makes it more difficult when you think about how difficult it is. lol

Lisi and I can't wait to here you speak French one day. You're lucky that you can blend in... I won't be able to. lol No one in Taiwan's probably ever seen a Puerto Rican.

Could you tell me a little about your school life? Like, what it's like. A sort of moment to moment day in the life of or something. :)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you're so happy Kristen!! Although I have to say I get worried upon occasion that you'll never come home...that would be okay, just know that we'll all (the EDC, naturally) be showing up on your doorstep, never to be parted from you again. I miss you like crazy and am planning to write you the longest email in the world as soon as midterms are over. In the interim, it is so incredibly comforting to know that you are having the time of your life <3
loveee youuuu!!