Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A letter to my country

Dear America,

Hey there, it’s Kristen. How’re you doing? I’m doing pretty well, thanks. I’ve been having a great time lately, and have been keeping busy. I went to Park Astrix, an amusement park near Paris, two weekends ago with my host family and that was fun. We hosted a German “correspondent” for a week in our house which was interesting. His name was Matthius and he was very kind, and just as confused as I was at the beginning of this exchange. I went to a modern dance class with a girl named Marie (which was fun, but nothing like a Donna Decker class) and am looking around town for a ballet studio. I went to a talk with an American journalist who live in France (Ted Stanger) about the upcoming election and babysat a few more times. I’ve gone shopping and bought some cute new fall clothes and a new camera (mine wouldn’t charge here) and have been reading and writing (I just finished my second journal!). Busy, busy, busy.
Last weekend I went to Belgium with my host family and it was really beautiful. The scenery was breathtaking, and the Belgian people are SO NICE. I didn’t have any waffles or French fries (which, as a side note, apparently were invented in Belgium and they are VERY TOUCHY on the subject of American’s calling THEIR fries “French”). I know, I know, I can hear your astonishment -“Kristen, you went to Belgium and did not eat their world famous Belgian waffles or their equally alluring fries? What exactly did you DO there, then?” Well America, what I did was eat their chocolate; their marvelous, manna-like chocolate. I don’t think I will ever look at a Hershey’s bar the same. Ironically, I also celebrated my one month anniversary in France in Belgium. It astounds me that I’ve been away from you for so long.
I miss quite a bit about you, America – especially your New York autumns. The trees change here, and everyone loves to point out the prettiness of the newly turned red leaves, but it’s not the same.. I miss the sunny but briskly cool days where nothing is more soothing than a walk outdoors contemplating the changing colors of the season followed by a steaming cup of tea. I miss the apples and the cider, the Fly Creek Cider Mill donuts, the scarecrows, the pumpkins – all the traditional fall things. There’s just nothing that can be compared to an upstate New York fall, not even beautiful, romantic France with its lovely countryside and history. And your pizza...oh, how I miss your pizza. Don't get me wrong, the food here is beyond fabulous, but Otown is the only place in the world you can really get a little slice of heaven. This new town is nothing like my “city of the hills”; it’s both different and wonderful in its own way. I’m curious as to what I’ll miss of it next year at the same time as now.
Now, America, I’m a bit confused about what’s going on with you. I’ve heard some rumors that I don’t really understand. First I was shocked by Sarah Palin; that was quite a curveball from McCain, eh? And now I’m hearing something about the stock market crashing? America, what’s going on? I think about you all the time, mainly because I’m always introduced as “Kristen, the American”. I never really thought of myself as American until now (I mean, obviously I knew I was, but I didn’t wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and say “Good Morning, self, you’re an American!”). You’re making it a little difficult for me with all this silliness. I'm trying hard to intergrate myself into this new culture and it's hard when I constantly have to worry about you. Please, pull yourself together, dear.
Well, that’s all I have to say for now. This weekend I’m going to Mont St Michel with Rotary which I hear is absolutely beautiful. I’m quite excited.. I really do hope all is well, keep in touch.

Bisous,

Kristen

4 comments:

Rob Thrasher, Spotlight on Success said...

A letter from America. We're fine. We're in a bit of a down turn, but we've had worse, so let's not over react. You might be too young to remember and most peoples history starts when they are born, but I assure you we've seen worse, and will see worse in the future. But, as with all down cycles, we learn and grow and become stronger as a country. It is the optimistic among us who will pull us up by our bootstraps and carry on. All things have cycles. Even America. I too love the fall and Fly Creek Cider Mill in New York. America has a cold, we sneezed and the world caught it too, but the optimistic forward thinkers, a.k.a. the white blood cells, have already kicked into action. As a New Yorker I assure you it was worse on 911 as an example. Godspeed...

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Kristen, You are having such a great time! I', not surprised you have filled up two journals already. We are having a little rainy weather here today, so, I plan to get some house work done. we are going up to camp on Sat. and I hope to get some great fall pictures. I'll try to send some, although pictures never do the scenery justice. I will email you my thoughts on Sarah. Yikes!! I made pumpkin cookies yesterday and plan to made apple muffins today--fall is in the air. We will be going to Zach's game in Delhi this afternoon--I hope it clears up the views aver there are spectacular. Love, Nommie

Anonymous said...

Tu es si mignon! Je ne peux pas croire un mois s'est adopté.
Tu me manques!

Nutcracker a été la semaine dernière ... J'ai été bien, Je pense que je suis "over it"! Nous t'aimons!

My tenses are wrong. I don't know how you do this all day long! Mommy

Anonymous said...

XD That was so funny!