Friday, September 5, 2008

Day Ten

Hello again!

Life in France is slowly (very, very slowly) becoming better. For those of you who haven't heard from my Mother or another family member, I am VERY homesick. These first days have been very, very hard for me emotionally. I cry a lot and am sad a lot and I really wanted to go home. My family and I are, and have always been, very, very close and I miss them and love them with all of my heart. But after a few calls and emails home, I realized that I just can't go home. I can't do that to my family (both my host and real family), I can't do that to Rotary who has done so much for me here and at home, I can't do that to all the people who wished me well and gave me their fondest regards and I can't do that to myself. I can't let myself live my life with "what-ifs" and I can't just let myself quit when the going gets though. If I had trouble with a ballet variation, would I just quit right there and walk out of the studio? No, I would practice and practice until I was comfortable and could do it as well as I could.
That being said, it IS difficult. I still have trouble with the language (but I should give myself a break, it's only day ten!) and I'm tired all the time. The combination of severe homesickness, jet-lag, trying to constantly understand what's being said and reply back, and my crazy emotions is exhausting. But some good news - my host father, Christophe, works away during the week and comes home on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I met him when he picked me up last week and then I saw him again Wed. and yesterday and he told me that my French has really improved in just a week. He was impressed and I was very encouraged.
Another thing I've come to realize (with the help of my family) is that I'm very fortunate. I've always known thatbut I really realize it now. To be complaining about spending a year in France is ridiculous! I'm so grateful to have this oppurtunity no matter how hard it is as well as so thankful that I have such a supportive family and group of friends. While home seems far away, I try not to think about that but instead think of what's coming up next - a Rotary meeting or trip, a trip with my host family, etc. Next Sunday, the 13th (my Mommy's birthday!!), I'm going to see the Pope in Paris with a girl I know named Claire. That should be exciting!
I've done so much in the past ten days, it literally feels like it's been YEARS. The days go by quite slowly, but I've heard that they will start to quicken when I'm more comfortable with the language.

I started school on Tuesday. Here, school is like college, with classes at different times in the day. I had French and Math this morning, and now have a three hour break before SVT (Science Terre...Earth Sciene, I think) and Physics-Chimies (Physics and Chemistry). Obviously, school is increadably difficult for me, but all my teachers so far have been very understanding. I've never been one for math, but I actually kind of enjoyed it today because I didn't have to keep translating in my head...numbers are numbers.
I'm going to work with my host mother, Astrid, occasionally. She works with handicapped people, and the other night, I went to a little party of theirs and had a really good time. I'm really looking forward to helping her out. I'm also going to babysit tonight for an American couple with four kids that Astrid knows. The children speak both French and English and both Astrid and I agree the it's a good oppurtunity as I can learn a lot from the children. I also learn a lot from my three younger host siblings. I've learned some slang and such (my favorite word so far being "truc"...thing) and I really enjoy listening to them while they talk and play. We listen to the radio, watch TV and eat together. We're all still shy, but I feel like they're warming up to me.

I really, really like my family. They're Beligian and have kept a lot of Beligan habits (such as we eat a big meal at lunch and bread and cheese for dinner). My host mother is absolutely wonderful. She lived in America for two years when she was young and really understands exactly what I'm going through. I feel very comfortable expressing myself to her and I'm really thankful that I don't have to bottle up all my emotions.

I like to write in my journal...A LOT (my aunt gave me a pretty one for my birthday and I'm about 3/4 of the way throught it already!). I feel like I've discovered a lot about myself in the past week and a half. I guess that's what happens when you have a lot of time to think. When I'm really sad, I like to write, to read and to watch TV or movies with my family...it takes my mind of my emotions (if only for a little while). We watch movies in English with French subtitles and in French with English subtitles (it was SO weird to watch Fantastic Four in French!) I've also realized that a lot of old cliche sayings are true such as "home is where the heart is" and "distance makes the heart grow fonder". I definately appreciate all the things my parents do for me more than I ever have before and will never again take them or my funny, silly, darling brother for granted. There have been times when I've been writing in my journal and I'll think of something philisophical and profound -again, the effect of being in my own head for so long - I think it's kind of funny that I'm becoming a little Voltaire...

Well, I should go do my French homework. It'll take me awhile, I'm sure, but it's something to do. Thanks for all your comments, emails and love. I miss and love you all! XOXO

PS...sorry for the spelling mistakes...I can't seem to work the spell check!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen: Nous sommes très fiers de vous. C'est vraiment dur et vous êtes-vous la manipulation très bien. Félicitations! (Si j'avais su que vous envoyant vers un autre pays aurait évoqué ces gratitude pour votre famille, je l'aurais envoyé lorsque vous vous étiez 10 ans… Pensez à tous les combats nous aurions évité! LOL). Nous vous aimons et vous manquez et de savoir que vous vous sentirez mieux au jour le jour. Dans l'intervalle, il ya bien pire choses deviennent Voltaire! Restez forte. Nous vous aimons.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Kristen, I was so glad to see your blog this morning and see that things are getting a tiny bit better for you! Time will help, and you are a wonderful, smart young lady who will get the best of the situation, I have no doubt! I'm glad French is getting a little easier for you. I'm reminded (although it's not the same be any means!) of us moving to Oklahoma. First, of all, we were ALL homesick-having never been that far away from the Grandmas and friends, but also believe it or not the language--when the neighbor boy came out to greet us(he was from the pan-handle of OKla-which might as well be Texas!) I couldn't understand a thing he said--when we went back into the house we said-"was he speaking English?" Soon your ear will be more in tune with the French you are hearing and it will become easier to hear and to speak. Sooner or later, Carl, the neighbor,sounded normal to us. It's good that you are going to work with Astride, you are very good with people. Let me know how the babysitting goes--kids can be naughty or nice anywhere! We miss you like crazy, and we know this is hard for you, but you are doing all the right things, so hang in there. I have to get ready to go to work at Saturday's Bread. Will talk to you soon. Love, Nommie

Anonymous said...

Dear Kristen, (or should you be called "a little like Voltaire" - ha - I THINK YOU ARE MORE LIKE "a
lot like Joan of Arch" - strong and
brave! - and your new French home is a PERFECT place to capture her
great historic SPIRIT).

We tried to blog comment you from Lake George Camp last week, but our usually 2-5.5 Mbps of WIFI on our notebook computer would not send from the Adirondack Mountains
of New York to France.

As Nommie has just sent our sentiments to you in a blog, I will
not cover the ground details again on "being homesick" (that was to be
the major topic last week if our
computer had been able to deliver.)
But let me simply add...as you know
"being homesick is nornal...and can
actually turn out to be a GOOD THING...as you are learning from
a deeper appreciation for "Home Sweet Home"...BUT THE HOMESICK BUG WILL PASS ASAP...AND HOW SOON... YOU BASICALLY CONTROL! I know that your new family in France and friends/others have also been
helpful. But here is another suggestion if you have not already "been there done that".

I just put in a Google search with the search topic of: how to get over being homesick. And it was
amazing how much GREAT STUFF came up instantly...mainly from young persons gone to college or away like you or whatever. As I have always experienced that "self help"
begins with sharing with others who
have had similar "problems"...this
should be of like interest to you.

Well, for now dear Kristen, just know that we too are going through
the reverse of what you are experiencing....MISSING YOU!...But
your WONDERFUL BLOG helps as well as news from your calls (later on we will SKYPE with you from time to time as you have time and wish).

WE LOVE YOU VERY MUCH AND WILL WRITE/CALL AGAIN. IN THE INTERIM
KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING...DANCING A NEW BALLET CALLED "FRENCH LIFE"...AND LIKE ALL OF YOUR OTHER BALLET EXPERIENCES...YOU WILL BE A SUPER SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Say "HI" to the Pope for me...and ask him to come vist America again soon...if he is not too pooped to Pope - lol

Anonymous said...

Hola! (Oops, wrong language.) Aunt Julia here. I copied your blog for reading tonight (Friday). The computer at my apt. is closing in a few minutes. I got your email after my email. Thanks. I'll read your info and BE THINKING OF YOU.

Anonymous said...

Kristen! I SO know what you went through! I went through the same thing when I moved to Oneonta, knowing I wouldn't see my mom or friends from Florida for a long time. I hope you're feeling better.